Full Duration Breathing Apparatus Course Introduction
Full duration breathing apparatus is the term we have given to working breathing apparatus which can be used either in single or twin cylinder configuration.
- Single cylinder configuration is usually a 9litre cylinder charged to either 200 or 300 bars.
- Twin cylinder configuration is normally two 6.8litre cylinders charged to 300bar.
We use Drager PA94 series and Drager PSS3000 series self contained breathing apparatus sets for training. Used only in a single cylinder configuration using 9litre carbon composite cylinders charged to 200bar. A 9litre cylinder fully charged to 200bar gives a full capacity of 1800litres of compressed air. (9 X 200=1800)
This gives the breathing apparatus set a notional full duration of 45mins. Full Duration is from when the cylinder valve is opened until the cylinder is exhausted based on an assumed average air consumption rate of 40lts/min (1800/40=45)
Full duration sets can be used on their own or be attached to airlines for extended duration use and to other BA equipment using specialised attachments for emergency use.
Full Duration Breathing Apparatus Course Design.
The Full Duration Breathing Apparatus Course is designed and structured to fully comply with HSG53 Respiratory protective equipment at work A practical guide.
The course is intended for anyone required to select, operate and use full duration breathing apparatus.
This training is delivered as part of High Risk Confined Space Training Courses but is offered here as “Stand Alone” training for:
- Initial training
- Refresher training
- Qualification update from Medium Risk Confined Space to High Risk Confined Space
Full Duration Breathing Apparatus Course Content
The course consists of:
- Describe a carbon composite BA cylinder
- Recognise the full charging pressure
- Define Full Duration
- Define Working Duration
- Define Safety Margin
- Calculate the working duration for a given cylinder pressure
- Recognise that the working duration is affected by the cylinder pressure
- State the nominal durations for a 9litre cylinder charged to 200bar
- List the requirements for the safe storage of BA cylinders
- Recognise that no oil or grease should come into contact with compressed air fittings
- Name and identify the component parts of a Drager BA set
- State the function of the reducer
- State the air supply pressure from the reducer to the Lung Demand Valve
- State the air supply pressure from the reducer to the whistle & gauge assembly
- State the pressure at which the Low Pressure Warning Whistle will operate
- State the function of the pressure relief valves on the reducer
- State the function of the lung demand valve LDV
- State the function of supplementary flow f
- Recognise the effects on working duration of operation of the supplementary flow
- State the function of the Test Button/Lever on the LDV
- Name, identify and briefly describe the parts of a BA Facemask
- State the function of the ori-nasal mask
- List the required tests for breathing apparatus
- Detail the Acceptance Test
- Detail the Monthly Test
- Detail and conduct the General and After Use Test
- Detail the High Pressure Test
- Detail the Low Pressure Test
- Complete test records
- Detail the defect reporting procedure
- List the factors that affect suitability to wear BA
- List the general safety requirements for the use of BA
- Attach/detach cylinders
- Don and adjust a facemask
- Attach Lung Demand Valves
- Carry out General Test to a BA Set:
- High pressure leak test
- Low pressure whistle and face seal
- Carry out a monthly test to a BA Set
- Don and adjust a BA set
- Carry out the Pre-entry Test
- Doff a BA set
- Carry out an After Use Test
- Care and servicing of set, facemask and ancillary equipment
- Distress signal units
- Familiarisation exercises under varied conditions to show the effects of increased breathing rates.
- Uncovenanted disconnection of the LDV
- Assessment exercise
BA Full duration course will also include BA Control Procedures.
Full Duration Breathing Apparatus Course Pre-requisites
Full Duration Breathing Apparatus Course Notes
- It is a legal requirement that all employees required to use the Full Duration BA equipment receive training.
- The training detailed on this page is “generic” Full Duration BA training
- Training can be carried out at your premises provided suitable resources are available:
- Sufficient space to accommodate course numbers
- Space to use whiteboard, laptop and projector
- External training area for practical training and exercises..
- We use Drager PA94 series and PSS3000 sets for training.
- We can design and deliver training for other manufacturers equipment.
- Specific training can be designed and delivered to meet your needs.
Drager PA94 series SCBA
This photograph shows the PA94 series BA set with the facility to split the medium pressure supply hose to insert additional equipment such as the airline belt manifold as shown below.
Drager Airline Belt Manifold
We use this attachment to enable connection of the BA set to an airline.
This enables a wearer to enter a risk area breathing from the airline but in the event of an emergency such as airline failure the full duration set acts as an emergency air supply.
We use this equipment during;
- High Risk Confined Space Course
- BA Airline Equipment Course
- Confined Space Rescue and Recovery Course
- Emergency Response Team Training
Drager secondary connection attachments
We use these attachments to change the configuration of the equipment for a variety of purposes and for compatibility with NI Fire & Rescue Service emergency procedures.
Full Duration BA Course Venue
Training can be conducted at:
- Fire Safety Trainer practical training premises.
Details of these can be found on the contact page.
- Your premises. Please see the attached notes.
- Other suitable agreed venues.
Full Duration BA Course Duration
Full Duration BA Course Size
Full Duration BA Course Assessment
- In house written tick box questionnaire
- Practical assessment and recorded to our standards
Full Duration BA Course Qualification
- Candidates will obtain our company certification of successful pass.
- Certificates will be sent to the company and not to individual candidates and will be valid for 3 years.
Full Duration BA Course Refresher
Determined by Employer based on:
- Perceived need
- Change in equipment