Construction Site Fire Safety Course Introduction
A fires occurring on a on construction site is far more frequent than most people realise, with with a major Insurance company estimating that there are around 104,000 each year on site, costing around £400m and all with the potential to cause death and serious injury.
Fire safety in construction is about preventing fires from starting and ensuring people’s safety if they do.
There are two ways of addressing fire in construction:
- prevent it happening in the first place (process fire safety); and
- prepare for and deal with the consequences if it does happen (general fire precautions, GFP).
Construction Site Fire Safety Course Design.
The Construction Site Fire Safety Course is designed for anyone working on construction projects.
It is aimed at all those with a role for developing and managing construction sites, including clients and designers, and is relevant to all construction projects, including small refurbishment sites.
Construction Site Course Content
The course consists of:
- Identification of fire hazards
- Reducing ignition sources
- Reducing potential fuel sources
- Assessment of fire risk
- Assessment of fire safety measures and safety equipment
- Maintenance and servicing arrangements, test procedures and record keeping
- Assessment of people, work processes and working environment
- General fire precautions
- Means of escape
- Fire detection and Fire alarms
- Assembly Points
- Emergency procedures
- Higher fire risk methods and materials of construction
- Guidance for multi-storey buildings
- Fire fighting arrangements and practical operation and use of extinguishers
Construction Site Course Pre-requisites
If training is to be carried out at your site, a current, valid fire risk assessment should be provided prior to the training event.
Construction Site Course Notes
- It is a legal requirement that all employees receive Fire Safety Training.
- The training detailed on this page is “generic” fire safety training
- Training can be carried out at your premises provided suitable resources are available:
- Sufficient space to accommodate course numbers
- Space to use whiteboard, laptop and projector
- External training area for practical extinguisher training.
- I will provide a Risk Assessment and Method
Statement for practical extinguisher training.
Please advise if you operate a Hot Work Permit system.
- Specific training can be designed and delivered to meet your needs.
- A copy of your current Fire Risk Assessment, Fire Policy, Fire Routine will be required for specific training.
Construction Site Course Venue
Training can be conducted at:
- Fire Safety Trainer practical training premises.
Details of these can be found on the contact page.
- Your premises. Please see the attached notes.
- Other suitable agreed venues.
Construction Site Course Duration
Without practical fire extinguisher training: 2 – 3 hours
With practical fire extinguisher training: 3 hours
Construction Site Course Size
Maximum 12 candidates per instructor for practical fire extinguisher training.
Construction Site Course Assessment
Tick box questionnaire.
Direct observation of different classes of extinguishers used on a simulated fire (optional)
Construction Site Course Qualification
- Candidates will will either obtain certification of attendance or successful pass.
- The Certificate will clearly state the Aim and Objectives of the course.
- Certificates will be sent to the company and not to individual candidates and will be valid for 3 years.
Construction Site Course Refresher
Determined by Employer based on:
- alteration to premises
- change of duties
- change of existing fire safety measures
Recommend refresher training for fire extinguishers.