Fire Awareness Course Introduction
It is a legal requirement that fire safety and awareness training be given to all members of staff on induction and be periodically refreshed.
To be truly effective Fire Awareness training needs to be specific to the workplace and should include the practical operation and use of fire extinguishers.
Specific training should be designed in accordance with your companies;
- Fire Policy
- Fire Risk Assessment
- Fire Evacuation Strategy
- Fire Routine and Fire Safety Systems
Fire Awareness Course Design.
Fire Awareness Course is designed for both management and staff to encourage them to recognize and react appropriately when a fire is discovered or a fire alarm sounds.
The basic course can be structured to include the practical use of extinguishers.
Practical fire extinguisher training would be deemed necessary if employees are expected to correctly select, operate and use extinguishers, fire blankets or hose reels.
Fire Awareness Course Content
The course consists of:
- Introduction and an outline of current Fire Safety Legislation
- Explanation and examples of the common causes of fire
- Explanation of Chemistry of fire, fire spread, classes of fire and methods of extinction
- Instruction on the actions to take on the discovery of a fire
- Instruction on the actions to take on hearing a fire alarm
- Explanation of the purpose and contents of a Fire Risk Assessment
- Definition and explanation of ASET Available Safe Egress Time and the factors which can affect it.
- Explanation of the need for good fire safety housekeeping
- Explanation of the need for regular fire safety inspection and the importance of fire doors
- Explanation and examples of means of escape and the need to be maintained clear of obstructions
- Explanation of why lifts and escalators should not be used for means of escape
- Explanation of the need for and the duties of fire wardens/marshals
- Explanation of the function, operation and use of Fire Alarm, Fire Detection and Fire Suppression Systems
- Definition of Fire Points and an explanation of their function and preferred location.
- Explanation of need for and the process involved in calling the Fire Service
- Explanation of the need for and the siting of assembly point and the need for accurate roll calls
- Explanation of the siting, different types and use of First Aid Firefighting Equipment
- If required: The practical operation and use of selected fire extinguishers
Fire Awareness Course Pre-requisites
Fire Awareness Course Notes
- It is a legal requirement that all employees receive Fire Awareness Training.
- The training detailed on this page is “generic” fire awareness training
- Training can be carried out at your premises provided suitable resources are available:
- Sufficient space to accommodate course numbers
- Space to use whiteboard, laptop and projector
- External training area for practical extinguisher training.
- I will provide a Risk Assessment and Method
Statement for practical extinguisher training.
Please advise if you operate a Hot Work Permit system.
- Specific training can be designed and delivered to meet your needs.
- A copy of your current Fire Risk Assessment, Fire Policy, Fire Routine will be required for specific training.
- For businesses to which the Fire Safety Regulations apply, depending on the size of the business, not all employees would need to be trained in the operation and use of fire extinguishers.
Fire Awareness Course Venue
Training cane be conducted at:
- Fire Safety Trainer practical training premises.
Details of these can be found on the contact page.
- Your premises. Please see the attached notes.
- Other suitable agreed venues.
Fire Awareness Course Duration
Without practical fire extinguisher training: 2 – 3 hours
With practical fire extinguisher training: 3 hours
Fire awareness Course Size
Maximum 20 candidates for courses with no practical fire extinguisher training.
Maximum 12 candidates per instructor for practical fire extinguisher training.
Fire Awareness Course Assessment
For generic courses, unless specifically requested, there is no written or practical assessment.
Tailored assessment, both written and practical, can be prepared for specific fire awareness courses.
Fire Awareness Course Qualification
Candidates will either obtain certification of attendance or successful pass.
The Certificate will clearly state the Aim and Objectives of the course.
Certificates will be sent to the company and not to individual candidates and will be valid for 3 years.
Fire Awareness Course Refresher
Determined by Employer based on:
- alteration to premises
- change of duties
- change of existing fire safety measures
Recommend refresher training for fire extinguishers.