Manual Handling Course Introduction
The Manual Handling Operations Regulations 1992 (MHOR) require employers to manage the risks to their employees. They must:
- Avoid hazardous manual handling operations so far as is reasonably practicable, by redesigning the task to avoid moving the load or by automating or mechanising the process.
- Make a suitable and sufficient assessment of the risk of injury from any hazardous manual handling operations that cannot be avoided.
- Reduce the risk of injury from those operations so far as is reasonably practicable. Where possible, provide mechanical assistance, for example, a sack trolley or hoist. Where this is not reasonably practicable then explore changes to the task, the load and the working environment.
Manual Handling Course Design.
The Manual Handling Course is designed for anyone involved in manual handling activities, including lifting, lowering, pushing, pulling or carrying either:
- As an individual
- As a member of a team
- By the use of equipment
Elements of this training are delivered as part of other Training Courses we provide but is offered here as “Stand Alone” training for:
- Initial training and certification.
- Refresher training.
Manual Handling Course Content
The course consists of:
- Awareness of the legislation and guidance documents
- Definition of Manual Handling
- Understand the Employers/Employees duties with respect to Manual Handling
- Identify and give examples of sensitive risk groups
- Understand the assessment process TILEO and give examples of the assessment process
- Recognise the hazards associated with manual handling
- Recognise and give examples of injuries caused
- Definition of a safe system of work
- Review and revise manual handling assessments
- Identify and give examples of control measures
- Completion of a manual handling checklist for carrying and lifting/pulling
- Perform individual safe lifting techniques of industry specific loads
- Perform team/group lifting techniques of industry specific loads
- Operate and use industry specific lifting equipment
Manual Handling Course Pre-requisites
Manual Handling Course Notes
- It is a legal requirement that all employees required to use the emergency escape BA equipment receive training.
- The training detailed on this page is “generic” manual handling training
- Training can be carried out at your premises provided suitable resources are available:
- Sufficient space to accommodate course numbers
- Space to use whiteboard, laptop and projector
- External training area for practical training and exercises..
- We use industry specific loads for training:
– an assessed load for individual lifting techniques.
– assessed items for team movement
– lifting or moving equipment
- Specific training can be designed and delivered to meet your needs.
Manual Course Venue
Training can be conducted at:
- Fire Safety Trainer practical training premises.
Details of these can be found on the contact page.
- Your premises. Please see the attached notes.
- Other suitable agreed venues.
Manual Handling Course Duration
Manual Handling Course Size
Manual Handling Course Assessment
- In house written tick box questionnaire
- Practical assessment and recorded to our standards
Manual Handling Course Qualification
- Candidates will obtain our company certification of successful pass.
- Certificates will be sent to the company and not to individual candidates and will be valid for 3 years.
Manual Handling Course Refresher