Tripod Winch Course Introduction
A tripod is a portable three-legged frame designed to provide stability, support and which can be used as an anchor point for supporting the weight of an applied load. The tripod is designed to provide maximum stability and support against downward forces which are applied:
- normally through the actions of a winch or retrieval device or
- through shock load such as falls from height and the actions of fall arrest equipment.
Used in conjunction with load winches, fall arrest blocks or other retrieval devices the tripod and the above equipment is required to be examined , inspected , operated and used by competent persons. This training course is designed to more than adequately provide the level of competence required.
Tripod Winch Course Design.
The Tripod Winch Course is intended for anyone required to select, test, wear and adjust a rescue harness.
This training is delivered as part of Confined Space Training Courses but is offered here as “Stand Alone” training for:
- Initial training
- Refresher training
- Qualification update from Low Risk Confined Space to Medium Risk Confined Space.
Tripod Winch Course Content
The course consists of:
- Awareness of the legislation, guidance documents and approved codes.
- Explanation of the purpose and use of a tripod, load winch and dual purpose retrieval device –
– fall arrest protection device
– retrieval winching mechanism for lowering or raising
- Identification, specifications and naming the main features of the tripod, load winch and retrieval device.
- Selection criteria and CE conformity
- Explanation of test procedures, competent person and legal requirements of LOLER.
- Detailed examination and inspection of the tripod, karabiners, attachment brackets, pulleys, winch and retrieval device.
- Completion of inspection records.
- Detailing the faults, defects or wear and tear that would render any item of equipment unsafe for use.
- Detailing other factors that would prevent or interfere with the safe use of the equipment.
- Emergency procedures.
- Equipment care, cleanliness and maintenance.
- Secure attachment of brackets, pulleys, karabiners, winch and retrieval devices.
- Position and erect the tripod on selected ground to cover:
– uneven ground
– soft ground
– hard standing
– maximum clearance of load or persons
- Practical operation and use of retrieval device in fall arrest mode
- Practical operation and use in winching loads.
- Practical operation of the retrieval equipment to demonstrate change to retrieval from fall arrest with a suspended load.
- Safe working practices for use of equipment when lifting and lowering persons
- Practical operation and actual use.
Actual use covers the operation and use of the equipment attached to a rescue stretcher for recovery of simulated casualty.
Tripod Winch Course Pre-requisites
Tripod Winch Course Notes
- It is a legal requirement that all employees required to use tripods and retreival equipment receive training.
- The training detailed on this page is “generic” retrieval equipment training
- Training can be carried out at your premises provided suitable resources are available:
- Sufficient space to accommodate course numbers
- Space to use whiteboard, laptop and projector
- External training area for practical training and exercises..
- We use IKAR Tripods and retrieval equipment for training.
- We can design and deliver training for other manufacturers equipment.
- Specific training can be designed and delivered to meet your needs.
Dual functionality as a fall arrest block and as a retrieval winch.
Attached to tripod using approved brackets and used in conjunction with approved accessories such as pulleys and karabiners.
Attached to the tripod using approved brackets and used to lower or raise tools and equipment.
Tripod Winch Course Venue
Your premises. See Notes
Fire Safety Trainer practical training premises.
Other suitable agreed venues.
Tripod Winch Course Duration
3 hrs for Fire Extinguisher without practical fire extinguisher
Tripod Winch Course Size
Maximum 12 candidates per instructor for practical fire extinguisher training.
Tripod Winch Course Assessment
Tick box questionnaire.
Direct observation of different classes of extinguishers used on a simulated fire (optional)
Tripod Winch Course Qualification
Learners will obtain certification of attendance and successful pass.
The Certificate will clearly state the Aim and Objectives of the course.
Certificate valid for 3 years.
Tripod Winch Course Refresher
Determined by Employer based on:
- alteration to premises
- change of duties
- change of existing fire safety measures
Recommend refresher training for fire extinguishers.